Fitness, Character and Tennis Lessons at a Park Near You!
2019 program will take place at 21 Minneapolis Parks
Free & Reduced Programs for Youth Ages 6 - 17 • T-Shirt Included!
• Full scholarships for families in need. Discounts applied during checkout. Register Online.
• Apply to Be a Summer Coach (Applications due April 5) • View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF)
• Summer Parks Frequently Asked Questions • View Brochure (PDF)
Since 1952, thousands of youth have learned to play tennis in ICT's Summer Parks program. By numbers alone, our Summer Tennis in the Parks program is wildly successful. Over 1,000 kids participated in 2018. And we create more than 50 jobs each summer for youth, many of whom grew up learning tennis with us in the Minneapolis Parks where we operate. We hope you can join us in 2019!
FIVE WEEKS OF LESSONS • June 17 - July 26 (No classes July 1 - 5)
Introductory Tennis for Ages 6-17 (Daily hourly lessons for 5 weeks) • Register Online
Programs available at 21 Minneapolis park locations • View Map
The cost is $125 • Full scholarships are available for families in need; discounts applied to cart during checkout
Group drills and games get kids learning the volley, groundstroke, overhead and serve. Kids build teamwork, confidence and hand-eye coordination skills, learn healthy nutrition habits and develop a life-long love of physical fitness. Rackets are provided for youth to use during practice.
AGES & LOCATIONS (view map for detailed age breakdown at each park)
Groups are split up by age at each park. At most locations, younger kids play during the first hours and older kids play later. Some parks operate for 2 hours and some operate for 4 hours. Programs run between 8:00am - 1:00pm. Click on a park location below to view the program hours and corresponding ages for each hour.
WANT MORE? EXTENDED MATCH OPTIONS FOR AGES 11-17
Play 2 times / week for 5 weeks (Mon & Wed) • June 17 - July 26 (No classes July 1 - 5)
- Register Online - $90- This is 75% off the regular price for parks players ONLY!
- Full scholarships available for families in need - Email Dilcia Pederson for more info
This program will focus on match play in a team friendly format. Players will be placed on a team and play matches against other local and ICT teams. Players must be able to maintain a 4 ball rally, serve and keep score. All matches and practices will be held at the Reed Sweatt Family Tennis Center on 40th & Nicollet in South Minneapolis from 1:00-3:30 pm. Players must be participating in morning park practices to register for this program.
*NEW* KIDSPEED CAMPS FOR AGES 8-11 ($500 per player)
4 hour camp every weekday for 5 weeks • June 17 - July 26 (No classes July 1 - 5)
Martin Luther King Jr. Park (8:00-12:00pm) & Webber Park (9:00-1:00pm) • Lunch Included!
- Register Online - Full scholarships available for families in need
- Email Dilcia Pederson for more info
Youth, ages 8 to 11, now have the option of participating in 4 hours of fun, physical and educational activities that include tennis, other sports, nutrition, math and reading. All youth will learn the lifelong sport of tennis and have an opportunity to compete in a grand tournament involving 21 parks on July 28th at ICT. Lunch will be provided for those participating in this Kidspeed Camp.
RICH HISTORY - OVER 80,000 HAVE PARTICIPATED
ICT’s original program in the 1950’s involved teaching tennis fundamentals to youth in the Minneapolis Parks. We still do the same thing today! We estimate that over the last six decades, approximately 80,000 children have learned to play tennis with InnerCity Tennis.
2019 SUMMER COACHES WANTED • View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF)
Apply online by Friday April 6th. For questions, contact Dilcia Pederson, Outreach Program Manager, at email@example.com or 612.584.4737.
- Apprentice Coaches: Ages 14-15 (2-3 hrs /day)
- Assistant Coaches: Ages 15+ (4 hrs /day)
- Head Coaches: Ages 17+ (4 hrs /day)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I register? You can register online or at the park site on the first day of the program, Monday, June 17.
- Does my child need a racket? Rackets are available as needed for all participants, free of charge.
- How do I get a scholarship? Any family in need is awarded a full scholarship. Check scholarship on your registration.
- Can my kids join after the June 17 start date? Yes, kids can join the program at any time.
- What if my child can only come 3 days / week? Kids can attend whenever they are avaialble, there is no minimum day commitment.
- What if my child is not age 6 by the June 17 start date? Contact Dilcia Pederson at 612.584.4737.
- Can my children attend the same session even though they are in different age groups? Contact Dilcia Pederson at 612.584.4737.
- How do kids become coaches in the program? Individuals age 14 or older can apply to work.
View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF) • Apply Online to be a 2019 Summer Coach
- Apprentice Coach: Ages 14-15 (2-3 hrs /day)
- Assistant Coach: Ages 15+ (4 hrs /day)
- Head Coach: Ages 17+ (4 hrs /day)