Fitness, Character and Tennis Lessons at a Park Near You!
2017 program will take place at 24 Minneapolis Parks Beginning June 19
Free & Reduced Programs for Youth Ages 6 - 17 • T-Shirt Included!
• Full scholarships for families in need. Discounts applied during checkout. Register Online.
• Summer Parks Frequently Asked Questions • View Brochure (PDF)
• Apply to Be a Summer Coach (Applications due April 7) • View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF)
Be part of history as we celebrate our 65th year! Since 1952, thousands of youth have learned to play tennis in ICT's Summer Parks program. By numbers alone, our Summer Tennis in the Parks program is wildly successful. Over 1,000 kids participated in 2016. And we create more than 50 jobs each summer for youth, many of whom grew up learning tennis with us in the Minneapolis Parks where we operate. We hope you can join us in 2017!
FIVE WEEKS OF LESSONS • June 19 - July 28 (No classes July 3 -7)
Introductory Tennis for Ages 6-17 (Daily hourly lessons for 5 weeks) • Register Online
Programs available at 24 Minneapolis park locations • view map. The cost for the program is $95. Full scholarships are available for families in need. Discounts are applied to your cart during checkout.
Group drills and games get kids learning the volley, groundstroke, overhead and serve. Kids build teamwork, confidence and hand-eye coordination skills, learn healthy nutrition habits and develop a life-long love of physical fitness. Rackets are provided for youth to use during practice.
AGES & LOCATIONS (view map for detailed age breakdown at each park)
Groups are split up by age at each park. At most locations, younger kids play during the first hours and older kids play later. Some parks operate for 2 hours and some operate for 4 hours. Programs run between 8:00am - 1:00pm. Click on a park location below to view the program hours and corresponding ages for each hour.
WANT MORE? EXTENDED MATCH OPTIONS FOR AGES 11-17
CLUB TENNIS FOR A QUARTER OF THE PRICE FOR PARKS PLAYERS ONLY!
Play 2 times / week for 5 weeks (Mon & Wed) • June 19 - July 28 (No classes July 3 -7)
- Register Online - $85 - This is 75% off the regular price for parks players ONLY!
- Full scholarships available for families in need. Email Outreach Program Director Song Thao for more info.
This program will focus on match play in a team friendly format. Players will be placed on a team and play matches against other local and ICT teams. Players must be able to maintain a 4 ball rally, serve and keep score. All matches and practices will be held at the Reed Sweatt Family Tennis Center on 40th & Nicollet in South Minneapolis from 1:00-3:00 pm. Players must be participating in morning park practices to register for this program.
RICH HISTORY - OVER 75,000 HAVE PARTICIPATED
ICT’s original program in the 1950’s involved teaching tennis fundamentals to youth in the Minneapolis Parks. We still do the same thing today! We estimate that over the last six decades, approximately 75,000 children have learned to play tennis with InnerCity Tennis.
2017 SUMMER COACHES WANTED • View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF)
Apply online by Friday April 7th. For questions, contact Dilcia Pederson, Outreach Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.584.4737.
- Apprentice Coaches: Ages 14-15 (2-3 hrs /day)
- Assistant Coaches: Ages 15-16 (4 hrs /day)
- Head Coaches: Ages 17+ (4 hrs /day)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I register? You can register online or at the park site on the first day of the program, Monday, June 19.
- Does my child need a racket? Rackets are available as needed for all participants, free of charge.
- How do I get a scholarship? Any family in need is awarded a free scholarship. Check scholarship on your registration.
- Can my kids join after the June 19 start date? Yes, kids can join the program at any time.
- What if my child can only come 3 days / week? Kids can attend whenever they are avaialble, there is no minimum day commitment.
- What if my child is not age 6 by the June 13 start date? Contact Dilcia Pederson at 612.584.4737.
- Can my children attend the same session even though they are in different age groups? Contact Dilcia Pederson at 612.584.4737.
- How do kids become coaches in the program? Individuals age 14 or older can apply to work.
View Coach Job Descriptions (PDF) • Apply Online to be a 2017 Summer Coach
- Apprentice Coach: Ages 14-15 (2-3 hrs /day)
- Assistant Coach: Ages 15-16 (4 hrs /day)
- Head Coach: Ages 17+ (4 hrs /day)